Tuesday, November 07, 2006

On My Desk

I'm going to add a link in my sidebar to this site: http://www.on-my-desk.blogspot.com/
This is one of my favourite spots these days, well worth checking out. It's a chance to peek inside the creative spaces, be they studios or simply desks, of other artists. I love it. A little voyeuristic indulgence, sure, but I love seeing where other artists work, how they're set up, all of it. Some folks clean up for the photos, others just show their spaces as they are, either way, it's really cool. You also get a little glimpse of some of their materials and can read into their process a little.
Go check it out. It's great.
What I'd really like to see next is something along these lines but showcasing the materials people use. Troy mentioned in the comments about the types of brush pens he uses. I love finding this stuff out. Pens, papers, everything. I just bought a new sketchbook, for example. I had been looking for a Moleskine, unfortunately you can't get them anywhere around here. But Brandon over at Artguise (www.artguise.ca) recommended something similar by Cartieri Magnani. I haven't cracked it yet, but am looking forward to doing so. I've been thinking of ading a little watercolour to my sketches and this paper is supposed to be little better than the standard Wallack's special I usually cart around with me.
I really want to find out about what kinds of pens, brushes, nibs, and inks people are using. I worked for a little while a few years ago at a frame shop here in Ottawa. It was my task to draw on linework and lettering on the matting. It was really boring, but it got me using some new materials which really changed the appearance of some of my drawings. I'm a creature of habit, I like animation paper and and col-erase pencils (indigo blue and carmine red). But I get lazy. Sometimes just changing the materials changes the approach and forces a little evolution. I don't stretch often enough, but I'm trying to.
Anybody reading this, I'd love to know what kind of materials you're using for your work. This is the kind of stuff I used to pick up all the time when I worked in studios, but it just doesn't come up that often in my government cubicle.
Thanks

No comments: